Thursday, December 3, 2009

Kiting




I originally intended to spend one week in South Africa, mainly in Cape Town. Within two days I had decided I would need more time. In total, I spent just over two weeks in Cape Town and happily could have stayed. In fact, I tried. I bought a tie, crashed a hedge fund conference, networked and setup meetings exploring opportunities.

I originally came to visit an old McGill buddy, Trip, who is living in CPT, working as a consult and kite boarding actively. His flat is in an area called Table View, which has unobstructed views of Table Mountain, but more importantly is a stones throw from Kite Beach, one of the top ranked spots for kiting. I was keen reacquaint myself with the sport.


My last time kiting was back in March in Thailand with Matty and Tom, at which point I was just starting to get the hang of it. Ultimately, kiting is a very dynamic sport. There are a huge number of variables to monitor – wind, tide, kite, board, other kiters – and still you must respect the fact that those variables are steadily changing. Its tough to ever feel totally and completely in control and once you do, you start to go bigger and faster.

I had a couple of sessions at Table View, but the best two sessions were out in Langebaan, which is about 100km up the west coast from CPT. I drove out with Peitro on a Saturday afternoon and returned Sunday evening. Two days of kiting on the protected and calm bays of Langebaan is pretty special, especially when the wind is pumping as it was on Sunday.

Sunday, we awoke and did our best to ignore the copious amounts of Jager from Saturday night. I’m not sure why, but South Africans love their shots, Jager and Peron in particular. It takes a toll, but nothing fried eggs, bacon, toast, coffee and howling wind can’t cure.

Fueled, we drove to Shark Bay, which I’m told is named for the harmless sand sharks. Better to not challenge the explanation. I caught my first glimpse of this kiting oasis as the truck crested the hill and presented a sweeping horseshoe view of white sand engulfed by a spectrum of blue and turquoise. The bay is protected. The water ranges from deep to extremely shallow – especially at low tide – and remains calm for the majority. As said, it is an oasis.

We ripped the bay for over three hours. I was kiting up and down wind. Transitioning. Holding ground. I was launching some air and riding away. Mind you, I also ate it a few times attempting.

At one point, I looked over my shoulder and saw Pietro leaning way back, hauling a line parallel to mine at full tilt. He was quickly making up ground. He recognized that I was holding my own and ready for a challenge. I dipped the kite into the power zone, pulled in the line to gain speed and leaned back to edge. We were tearing the open waters, tossing up a salty spray and leaving a frothy wake. We were balancing the variables and edging the line between being in and out of control, all the while respecting the elements of the ocean and the wind.


Absolutely brilliant. Completely humbling. Massively addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment